Students who receive need-based aid from Princeton and wish to purchase a personal computer for their school use may request a computer purchase budget adjustment, not to exceed $3,500. The Undergraduate Financial Aid Office will add the purchase price of the computer to your financial aid budget, for which you may request a federal, alternative, or institutional loan to cover the cost. Computer purchase budget adjustments for the purchase price of a personal computer and accessories may only be requested during one year of your time at Princeton. Multiple requests may be submitted in the same year until you have met the $3,500 limit.
To request reimbursement, you have the following options:
- If Princeton grant was reduced to accommodate an outside/third-party scholarship, purchase receipts can be emailed to the financial aid office at email@example.com in order to have the reduced grant funds applied to the purchase. Note: This option is only available for the year in which outside/third-party scholarships were received.
- If the reduced Princeton grant does not cover the purchase, you can request a loan to cover the difference. Students have the option of requesting a federal loan (if eligible), Princeton Subsidized loan, or an alternative loan. You should email purchase receipts to the financial aid office along with your loan request form. The combination of reduced Princeton grant and loan cannot exceed $3,500. For alternative loans, students should apply directly with their chosen lender.
- If Princeton grant was not reduced to accommodate an outside/third-party scholarship, you have the option of requesting a federal loan (if eligible), Princeton Subsidized loan, or an alternative loan. You should email purchase receipts to the financial aid office along with your loan request form. For alternative loans, students should apply directly with their chosen lender.
Students who previously received grant aid reimbursement towards a computer purchase have the option of requesting a federal loan (if eligible), Princeton Subsidized loan, or an alternative loan if their laptop or desktop is broken and cannot be repaired. The request can only be accommodated once.
Requests for reimbursement, along with supporting documentation, can be submitted from August 1st until the last day of spring term classes, if you are enrolled. Requests received after the last day of the spring term are ineligible for reimbursement. If the reimbursement results in a credit on your student account, consistent with Undergraduate Student Accounts policy, the refund will be available after the start of classes.
In the event that you are experiencing extenuating circumstances resulting in an inability to purchase a computer before requesting reimbursement, you may email the financial aid office to request an accommodation via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: In cases where grant aid and/or loan was used to fund/reimburse a computer purchase, the aid will be reversed if the Undergraduate Financial Aid office does not receive the payment from a donor for an outside scholarship, or if loan documents are outstanding. This may result in a balance due to the Student Account Office.
Educational technology permitted under this policy (you may purchase exactly one of each item):
- Laptop Computer and Case (and optional extended warranty)
- Desktop Computer (and optional extended warranty)
- Tablet Computer and Case (and optional extended warranty)
- External Hard Drive
- External Monitor
- Keyboard and Mouse
- Earphones or Headphones
- USB cable
- Stylus pen
- Screen Protector (Laptop/Tablet)
- Digital Paper Tablet