Federal Verification is the process by which the Department of Education selects student FAFSA forms to be reviewed for accuracy. To maintain compliance with federal regulations, the financial aid office is required to review those files selected for verification. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, the financial aid office will email you to let you know what information should be submitted.
If you are selected for verification:
- Complete the Verification Update Form
- Verify parent and student income and tax information via the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or tax transcript
NOTE: The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is currently unavailable. If selected for verification, please request a tax return transcript from the IRS or submit a signed copy of your and your parents' 2015 tax returns.
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) allows parents and students who have filed a tax return to retrieve their tax information and import it directly into the FAFSA. This process confirms that the FAFSA reflects the income and tax data on file with the IRS.
- Log in to your FAFSA
- Select the current academic year FAFSA
- Click Make FAFSA Corrections
- Navigate to the Financial Information tab
- Answer the DRT screening questions
- If eligible, you will be directed to the IRS website to transfer the data
- Your FAFSA financial info will display Transferred from the IRS
- Sign and resubmit FAFSA
If your parents file separate tax returns or filed an amended tax return, they cannot use the Data Retrieval Tool—instead, request an official tax return transcript. Once you have received your transcript, you may forward it to the financial aid office by mail or fax.
If you did not file taxes for the year, complete the Student Non-filer Statement.